Changing Times - Changing Tastes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MMM60s-LM
Admin

PostChanging Times - Changing Tastes

Here is a message sent by "Beauty Searcher"

Good People of MiniMadMod60s:

"I’m a guy who likes women. I have an interest in the qualities that make women beautiful in terms of their physical appearance, both in their own persons, and in how their persons are affected by changes in hairstyles and fashion as the years and history go by. I am by no means an expert on the origins and derivations of trends—I only know what I like and what I don’t like.
I will state my view of a particular important period in fashion history, and then, I will ask all readers to critique my view.

I especially ask those readers who are in the know from their experience in the Fashion Industry to explain for us all WHY and HOW the radical change in fashion I describe below took place.

I’ll state at the outset that in my opinion—and that’s all it is, just my opinion—women and the hair and clothing styles they wore were at their most beautiful from 1969 to 1972,
both ends inclusive.

Before I go any further, could those of you who are more knowledgeable than I please tell me whether the years 1969-1972 are considered to be within the boundaries of the “Mod” era or are those years considered post-Mod?"

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Changing Times - Changing Tastes :: Comments

Re: Changing Times - Changing Tastes
Post on Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:01 pm by MMM60s-LM
Dear Beauty Looker. The years you speak of are just on the borderline. I remember well the change in hairstyles and make-up.
In 1969 make-up and hair did go more natural. I myself started to grow my short hair out and look more fresh and natural.
Gone were the false eyelashes and wigs. I will post some pictures of my changes later:

Here is the interesting article you wrote. Thank you very much for taking the time to do this.

CHANGING TIMES -CHANGING TASTES BY BEAUTY SEARCHER

Before I go into specifics about why I think women were at their most beautiful from 1969 to 1972, let me establish a sort of basis of what I think is the perfected ideal of feminine beauty in the culture that History calls “Western Civilization.”
To do that, I’ll insert my first illustration. Here is a close up of Simonetta Vespucci as she was portrayed by the great Italian
Renaissance painter Sandro Botticelli in about the year 1484. In this painting below, Botticelli employed Simonetta as his model
for his most famous painting, “The Birth of Venus.”

Simonetta was considered the most beautiful woman of her time and was publicly adored by many thousands of people in the city of Florence
where she lived. She died of tuberculosis at the age of 22. Botticelli was devastated by her loss. He continued to paint portraits of her from
memory, long after she died. He specified in his will that when he died, he was to be buried at Simonetta’s feet. Oh, the passions that feminine beauty inspires!

In recent generations, I think women were most beautiful from 1969 to 1972 because that is when hairstyles in particular enabled beautiful women to attain the level of Simonetta as Botticelli portrayed her. I identify 1969 as the critical year in which the American public’s idea of what constituted ideal feminine beauty underwent a sudden, radical, andoverwhelming change. To make my point, here’s a cover fromLife Magazine in the summer of 1969. This is the FIRST Photography-Age image I know of that shows MY ideal of feminine beauty.

Before 1969, women’s hairstyles emphasized what I would describe as “structure” in which the engineering skills of hairdressers were on full display. Women’s hairstyles pre-1969 did not appear to me to be very natural. But starting in 1969, beautiful women quite suddenly abandoned architectural hairstyles for a style that stressed the NATURAL. They seemingly just let their hair grow out of their heads long and straight and free, as, I tend to think, God intended.

Complimenting the advent of natural hair in 1969
were clothing fashions that emphasized simplicity and austerity, creating what I think is a desirable situation: as, dear reader, you can see in the photo above, the woman is wearing the clothes, the clothes are not wearing the woman.

In other words, the clothes serve the woman, the woman does not serve the clothes. For me, quite personally for me I emphasize, a long, natural, free-flowing mane worn with simple, basic, shirt-skirt-heels is the combination that best enables a beautiful woman to be her most completely beautiful possible.

Comparing pre-1969 with post-1969 photographs of iconic beautiful women will make my point as clearly as I can make it.

Before 1969, Candice Bergen looked like this:

and like this:

After 1969, Candice Bergen looked like this:

and like this:

To be continued:
Post on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:26 pm by RanmaSenshi
No images. I think simply copying and pasting (by right clicking) is the best way to go when embedding images into a message.

Last edited by RanmaSenshi on Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:53 am by MMM60s-LM
Sorry: I will work on getting the proper images up this afternoon.
Post  by Sponsored content

Changing Times - Changing Tastes

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The SUPERMODEL HALL OF FAME  :: FASHION HISTORY :: SPECIAL FEATURES - Fashion History :: LEGENDARY Beauty Artists-
Jump to: